We are back with a new M.O.M., Megan R. One of the great things about FIT4MOM is that there are franchises nationwide! Megan joined us after moving here from Hawaii where she was a FIT4MOM member! Let's meet Megan!
1) Where are you from? Rehoboth Beach, DE
2) How many kids do you have? 2 boys, Ben and Thomas
3) How long have you been participating in FIT4MOM programs? I started my first class when Ben was six weeks old, so a little less than four years ago (which is crazy!).
4) What is the best thing for you about the running program? I really need accountability and a set schedule for running, all of which this group provided. I also enjoyed the support and relationships. I met my half marathon training partner/ overall partner in crime in our group! I have always considered myself to be "bad" at running, but with all the support from this group, I began to feel confident for the first time.
5) What motivates you to exercise? Endorphins! Mommy needs endorphins haha! It's one of the few things I do for me, and I always feel better when I'm...more
I would love for you all to meet Michelle H! Michelle is a wonderful addition to our FIT4MOM family and has been involved in FIT4BABY, Stroller Strides and Body Back!
1) Where are you from?
I'm originally from Dyersville but have been in Davenport for ever ten years now.
2) How many kids do you have?
I have one son, Lawson, who turns one the first week of December.
3) How long have you been participating in FIT4MOM programs?
I joined Fit4Mom with the first Fit4Baby class when I was 34 or 35 weeks pregnant, around November of 2015!
4) What was your favorite part of FIT4BABY?
Having a chance to exercise near the end of my pregnancy and talk to other pregnancy women! I wish I could have started earlier in my pregnancy but it was definitely a great way to wrap up those last few weeks!
5) What is the best thing for you about the Body Back Program?
I like having a workout where I don't have to worry about a fussing baby. (The downside is I miss bedtime for Lawson but it's good for Dad!)
6) What motivates you to...more
It's time to introduce our September Mom of the Month! This member has been a loyal member since I took over in 2014, she started when she was very pregnant and worked out right up until the birth of baby #2 and then came back after she was cleared to exercise! We are lucky to have Laci W. and her kids in our village!
1) Introduce yourself and who you are a mom to: My name is Laci Weber and my husband, Brian, and I have two rambunctious children who are 13 months apart: Lillian, 3 and Kellen just turned 2!
2) Where are you from: I grew up in a small town along the Mississippi River called Rapids City
3) How long have you been participating in Stroller Strides? I started Fit4Mom 2 years ago while extremely pregnant with our son trying to see a glimpse of the body I once had. Don't get me wrong, I had NEVER been athletic but having 2 babies in 13 months definitely took it's toll!
4) What is your favorite thing about FIT4MOM? It's hard to pick just one favorite thing about Fit4Mom. It gives me the energy I need to get through the day after the...more
Hello! It's been a bit quiet around here lately, I hope you are enjoying your summer as much as we are at FIT4MOM! After a summer hiatus we are bringing back our M.O.M.!
I want to introduce you to Amanda! Amanda and her son, Will brighten any Stroller Strides Class. She has also completed our 5K training program and is about to enter our next Body Back session. In addition she has volunteered her talent as a photographer to provide us with our Mother's Day Mommy and Me photos! We asked Amanda our M.O.M. questions so we can all learn a bit more about her!
1) Where are you from? Born and raised in Moline!
2) How many kids do you have? One, Will who is 1
3) How long have you been participating in FIT4MOM programs? I have been a member since November 2015
4) What is the best thing for you about the running program? It helped motivate me to get moving again! I stopped running about 5 months into my pregnancy and never got back into it until I joined the running group. I re-found what I had been missing!
5) What motivates you to exercise? I...more
The results are in, and the hard work paid off. I am thrilled with how far I’ve come in only eight weeks! Think about all that can be accomplished in only two months. These eight weeks could have consisted of choices like sitting on the couch after the kids are in bed, snacking out of boredom, or eating the wrong foods. I put my mind to it though, and decided to get out for six workouts per week on average, planned my meals and snacks, and made sure I was mostly eating foods that were going to help my body.
In eight weeks I doubled my plank time, shaved 37 seconds off my 0.4 mile run, and improved greatly in all of my timed strength exercises as well. What I lost in weight and inches, I gained ten-fold in strength, confidence and wellness. I was chatting with my college gal pal about the program and my progress this week. She asked me what I was most proud of, but I really had trouble making a decision. In all aspects of this program I feel so accomplished!
I have learned so much about myself in this short time. I’ve learned that I can push myself further...more
So far I am seven weeks into the Body Back program and have one week to go. I keep surprising myself every week. I did not expect myself to be the person who would choose a salad over a burger or wake up early on the weekend to go running. I am so glad that I am, though. I have seen a transformation in my exercise routine, my diet, my body and my energy level. I am looking forward to running more races this summer, not necessarily because I have developed a love for running, but because I want to see growth in my progress.
This week I wore shorts, as opposed to pants or capris, to exercise and I really felt no differently than I normally do. I was able to confidently go about the routine without worrying what I felt or looked like, or pulling my clothes this way or that out of nervous habit. Thankfully this is just in time for the summer heat to start rolling in!
More important than the smaller numbers I am seeing on the scale each week are the feelings of confidence and strength which continue to grow within me. I am realizing more and more that I am capable of...more
Alright, any Bachelor/Bachelorette fans out there? C’mon, don’t be ashamed. If it’s not that show, I know you have your own guilty pleasure. Well I held the viewing party at my house this time around, and the ladies came prepared with food and drinks. I put together a fruit and cheese tray while others showed up with veggie dip, mini stuffed peppers, chocolate cake, and margaritas and wine. I skipped dinner because I knew this night would be chock full of all kinds of tasty. And of course while I ogled Aaron Rodgers’s little brother and filled out my bracket I treated myself to chocolate cake, because yum.
The next morning at Stroller Strides I could feel a difference in my body’s operation because of the night’s indulgences. I was slow, fatigued and generally pretty miserable. For lunch later that day I craved a big plate of fuel-filled veggies. Wait, did I really just type that sentence? This really is how my mind is shifting. My body knows that foods full of nutrients are going to help me perform better, whether it’s during exercise or not.
I feel satisfied and...more
As I enter into the second half of this program, I can see some real results. These small changes I've made to my life a little at a time have proven to be effective in big ways. There are a couple things I want to touch on this week, my wardrobe and my workouts.
One day in the middle of the week, my kids had an excellent nap day. I used the opportunity to sort through my closet and get it to where I want it to be. I created a pretty significant donation pile which immediately made its way out of the house. The next thing I'm about to tell you is so exciting for me. I plucked each and every maternity item from my closet! These pieces found a new home in a bin settled in the back of the closet. I am at a place where I don't feel like I need them in my daily rotation, but also not too far removed from my comfort zone. Keeping these clothing items just far enough away but still close enough to access is motivation to keep moving toward my goals and also a reminder that slip-ups are ok.
We had another intense and effective round of workouts this week. I left...more
So, the honeymoon phase is over. Not much has changed in my routine, but this was the first week where I felt like I could easily slip back into old habits if the opportunity presented itself. My old pals Starbucks and Chick-fil-A kept asking to hang out, but somehow I managed to blow them off. Plan and prep are so key! It’s possible that I thought I could reward myself for working so hard and having such determination for the first half of the program. Or maybe I thought a small setback wouldn’t make a big difference. Either way, my rational self is continuing to tell my emotional self to lay off the junk and keep my eyes on my goals. This mental strength would be nearly impossible without the support of everyone around me!
Although part of me clearly misses my old eating habits, my increased intake of healthy foods has made a difference in my strength again this week. Remember that 5K I told you about last week? I ran it significantly faster than any of my practice runs at 30:07, and in the rain! If that isn’t proof that Body Back is the real deal then I’m not sure what...more
Endurance! My body is reacquainting itself with that concept at long last. Shortly after last week's blog was published, I ran farther than I have in about ten years. Four miles may not seem like much to some, but in my book that was quite the accomplishment! My runs are becoming faster and longer as I continue to put good fuel in my body. This isn't to say I haven't caved to a few cravings along the way, but overall my eating habits have drastically changed for the better.
It's not only my habits that are changing. My family's habits are shifting, too! You know you're doing something right in the nutrition department of motherhood when your two year old asks for broccoli during lunch. My husband, who dines out almost daily for work, has ordered salads consistently and noticed big strides at the gym as well.
My confidence level is higher now than before I became a mom. Although my body isn't back to what it looked like then, I am prouder of it now. My body made life possible for two other people and can still stand to hold a mean plank or get me through...more